One of the most important parts of any wedding is the wedding photography. Picking the right photographer is critical to getting shots that showcase the happiest day of your life.
With so many options, it’s often hard to choose. The last thing you want is to come back from your honeymoon to discover your wedding photos aren’t so great.
The good news is it’s easier than you might think to get memorable photos for you to look back on for years to come. All it takes is a little research before your wedding.
Set A Realistic Budget
The perfect wedding photography isn’t going to be the cheapest option. It’s probably also not going to be your best friend’s cousin’s aunt who just started dabbling in photography.
While $500 might sound great, you’re probably not going to get much. You might only get a few shots and no photos from the reception. Wedding Wire recommends setting aside approximately 12% of your wedding budget for photos. The average couple spends around $2,000. Remember, pricing varies based on your area and costs can range anywhere from $300 to over $4,500. Photography is an important element to our couples and they typically invest between $3,000 and $7,500.
List Your Options
This is one of the easiest parts. Start by searching for wedding photographers in your area. If your photographer has to travel very far, the cost will increase. If you already had an engagement photographer and liked them, make sure to put them at the top of your list.
When it comes to finding your options, use social media, local business listings sites and wedding sites. You can also just search Google for wedding photographers in your city or state.
Narrow Down Your Choices
Now comes the hard part – narrowing down your choices. Getting the perfect wedding photography involves quite a lot of research. There are several ways to narrow down your list:
- Ask for recommendations on social media – Did you love your friend’s wedding photos? Ask who they used. Ask all your social media friends who they recommend and why.
- Check reputable wedding directories reviews – Wedding directories, such as The Knot, Style Me Pretty and Ruffled all have listings of professional wedding photographers. The directories are a terrific way to see reviews and price points in one spot.
- Visit photographers’ websites – Any reputable wedding photographer should have a professional website. This is their chance to describe what they do, what locations they work in and showcase their work. Be cautious if a photographer doesn’t have a portfolio for you to check out.
- Explore Instagram – Instagram is a great place to check out the wedding photographers on your list. Get to know their style and expertise to see if they’re right for you.
- Go to wedding trade shows – If you want a chance to talk to wedding photographers, this is a great opportunity to do so. You’ll speak with them, see their portfolios and possibly get discounts or the chance to win an upgrade on their photography packages.
Meet with Photographers
Once you’ve narrowed down your choices, it’s time to meet with the few photographers who’ve made the cut. Schedule an appointment to talk with about what you want, your venue and your wedding date. It’s a good idea to book a photographer early, especially if you’re getting married during a busy season, such as June.
You can also see what types of services they offer. For instance, can you get both digital and print photos? Do they offer wedding albums? How quickly do you get the pictures? We love the photographers who deliver a few sneak peek shots at the end of the reception or 24 hours after your wedding day.
Know What You Want
Once you’ve picked a photographer, you’re not quite done. The perfect wedding photography involves knowing what you want. Are there certain pictures you must have, such as specific group shots or the couple kissing as the sun sets? Discuss everything you expect before your wedding day. This gives your photographer time to visit the venue, plan what time to do certain photos, the best places to set up and how many additional people they might need to assist on your wedding day.
For the most beautiful pictures, you’ll want a beautifully designed wedding with attention to the fine details. To provide your photographer with a beautiful environment, work with an experienced floral designer who fits your design style. The Wedding Day Dash team will be there to support you and make sure everything comes together in the way that you desired.